There really are not any pros of addiction. If, one can call feeling spectacular during the first couple of uses, and then chasing that “amazing” high for the rest of their lives a pro, then my mistake, there you have it.
The cons of addiction? Well, that is a completely different story, and one that I could spend many months, if not years writing.
Addiction destroys you.
It takes away every thing you have.
It takes away everyone and everything that you have ever loved, or has ever loved you. Addiction takes away your sense of humor, your good looks, your friends, family, and ultimately, if you get there before it kills you, your freedom.
Roughly 10 years ago, my nieces and nephew, and I had a very deep conversation. I told them that drugs were “from hell”, and that they (who were 10,8, and 6 at the time) should NEVER, ever even think about trying a drug.
Well for several reasons really:
- You never know what will happen with that first hit that you take.
- You could die from your first hit.
- You could immediately become an addict.
- You could be caught, in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and be hauled off to jail; guilty until proven innocent for having done nothing at all. And wind up spending an awfully long time there.
Did they hear what I said to them, and have repeated a few times since? Do they remember that I missed their childhoods, and how badly it rips my heart apart every time it even crosses my mind?
Do they know how bad I feel when I realize that, for all intents and purposes; I don’t even have 2 nieces and a nephew, because I virtually know nothing about them?
I hope to G-d not!
You know, come to think of it, there are pros to addiction, and there are many. Please allow me to tell you about a few of them.
- As an addict, you learn how not to be so selfish.
- As an addict you learn to love, and not only yourself.
- As an addict, you learn how to say that you are sorry; to your mother, your father, your friends, and the Lord knows how many other people you have hurt in you life.
- You learn remorse.
- You learn to feel.
- You learn to take the cotton out of your ears, and place it in your mouth.
- You learn to cry and mean it.
- You learn to be a successful husband, father, and son.
- And if you’re lucky, you will get a chance to make up for the problems that you have caused.
So, are there both pros and cons to being addicted, apparently there are.
There are several methods that one can utilize to make it into the light. If you are honest, if you find a G-d, even one of your very own understanding, and learn to put NOTHING else in front of your recovery, then you just might have a chance of success.
However, should you find getting and staying sober, just too much work for you to handle?
Then G-d willing you will find the strength one day, and until then;
We’ll be waiting :)